Social Security Appeals
Although real estate law encompasses much more than the legal mechanics of buying a house, most persons who seek the services of a real estate matter for the first time are those who are looking to buy their first house. The role of a real estate attorney is to provide his clients with guidance , answer all their questions and give them confidence in the transactional procedures.
The presence of an attorney becomes even more important if the contracting parties are not English speaking. Since the contract language is not written in their language, it means that they have negotiated the terms in one language and someone wrote the terms in a language they did not understand. Those clients do know what are the commitments they have signed for.
Clients should put a “red flag” in the transaction when a mortgage broker or realtor convinces first time buyers or sellers not to hire an attorney. Conversely, a reputable realtor will invite the parties to seek legal representation and will even provide a list of experienced attorneys in the geographical area where the subject property is located.
Many clients who are buying are somewhat disoriented in the real estate buy-and-sell process. They seek answers to a number of questions, such as:
- What is the role of a realtor in a real estate transaction?
- Should I sign the contract to buy a house without first having an attorney review it?
- Should I apply for the mortgage on my own or obtain the services of the mortgage broker suggested by the realtor?
- What happens if I back down after signing the contract for sale?
- What is the difference between a mortgage company and a bank?
- What are the positive and negative aspects of a “lock in rate”?
- Should I choose the home inspector recommended by the realtor?
- What is the difference between the “seller’s realtor” and the “buyer’s realtor” in the contract I have signed?
- Can I get the return of my deposit if the mortgage does not go through?
- What are the perils of buying a property “as is”?
If you are buying or selling a home, feel free to call my office for an appointment. I will be glad to explain to you the entire process. I also represent clients in leases, commercial transactions and all Landlord-tenant matters including court litigation.